Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Plain Gray Tee

Back in my engineering days at my campus, you’d never catch me dead in a plain tee. Seriously, haha. It’s just sooo not me. Not that I don’t like it, it’s just that it’s too plain Jane for me. My belief then is that you’d have to have a really nice figure to pull it off. Of course, a pair of well-suited jeans is part of that too.

Fast-forward to x years later, armed with more experience in dressing (and with more accumulated stuffs in my closet, lol!) I’ve come to terms with dressing up a shirt and a man’s one at that as seen here. It turns out, there is a fashion formula in dressing up staples like this. Engineering and formulas, they just go well together don’t they? Oooh, I love formulas.Haha!

According to this, for a basic statement such as a plain gray tee to stand out it should be:

Statement outfit = basic + interest pice + completer piece + standard accessories

1. Basic (a staple such as plain tee, jeans or a pencil skirt).
2. Interest Piece (statement-making pieces like color, patterns and textures)
3. Completer Piece (makes the outfit thought-out like jacket/ cardigan or an accessory)
4. Standard Accessories (purse, jewelry, shoes and sunglasses)

And voila! You’ve certainly added an oomph factor in your plain gray shirt (no perfect figure required, wink!)

I must admit, I hadn’t known of this formula before but had been unconsciously applying it many times now. It’s just like an arithmetic sequence or progression we used to work on in our Maths; the numbers just keep on going because there’s a rule behind it. In my case, the outfits just keep on being produced because of the guiding principle behind it. And now thanks to that article, formula has been identified! Isn’t it just sheer genius? ;-)



Outfit 1:

Shirt: Mango (basic); Vest: Mango (completer); Shoes: Zalora (standard) 
Pants: Topman/ Necklace: Mango (statement)


Outfit 2:

Shirt: Mango (basic); Jacket: Mango (completer) Skirt: Asos (standard)
Shoes: H&M (interest)


No comments:

Post a Comment